This list of links will be developed and updated to provide an online information resource for Western Australian consumers. Please email us with any feedback or additions you would like to suggest to the list.

Organisations and Government agencies that assist consumers


Building information and complaints

Building Commission

The  Building Commission supports the community through the regulation of
building, painting and plumbing services in order to facilitate and
promote an efficient and responsive building industry.

The  role of the Building Commission includes licensing building service
providers, investigating and prosecuting for offences against building
laws, providing a dispute resolution service, setting standards and
delivering policy and advice.


Building Commission
MACMAHON building at Level 1, 31 Troode Street, West Perth WA 6005
Office hours are from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday.

Postal Address:
Building Commission
Locked Bag 12
West Perth WA 6872

Contact Numbers:
Phone: 1300 489 099
Fax: (08) 9476 1333Email:

The Building Commissioner has powers to deal with certain complaints relating to building, painting, plumbing and design certification services including;

  • the quality of work that has been carried out;
  • a complaint about a Home Building Work Contract; and
  • a disciplinary complaint.

Department of Commerce (Consumer Protection)

Consumer Protection publication; Home Buyers’ Survival Guide for WA  assist consumers who are buying an established property, or building/renovating a home.

Telephone: Consumer Protection’s Advice Line 1300 30 40 54

Renting / tenants advice

Tenants Advice Service

TAS provides telephone advice to over 1,900 tenants a year, distributes 29,000 tenancy publications annually, and conducts highly-attended community education forums on tenancy and human rights issues.

Telephone: Metropolitan Advice Line: (08) 9221 0088
Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 3.30pm
Country Advice Line: 1800 621 888
Monday to Friday: 1:00pm to 3:30pm. Country callers can leave a message on the answering machine. TAS will return your call during the country line hours.

return to the top of the page

Consumer issues across Australia

Australian Consumers’ Association (ACA)

ACA is an independent, non-profit organisation which publishes Choice Magazine and Choice Online – both are available by subscription. Information includes consumer research and advice on a range of issues as well as the results of product testing. The web site also provides a range of free information – consumer rights and advice, and ACAs’ policy and campaigning material.

Post: Australian Consumers’ Association
57 Carrington Rd
Telephone: 1800 069 552 (free call within Australia) or (02) 9577 3399
Fax : (02) 9577 3377

Consumers’ Federation of Australia

CFA is the national peak body for consumer groups in Australia. CFA’ 95 members include legal centres, health rights groups, local consumer organisations and public interest bodies. CFA’s role is to put the view of its member organisations to government and industry and advocate on behalf of consumers. Established in 1974, our focus is primarily on advancing the interests of disadvantaged or vulnerable consumers. CFA is unfunded and its executive serves in a purely voluntary capacity. CAWA is a member of the Consumers’ Federation of Australia.


return to the top of the page


Personal Property Security Register

A new national register of personal property securities (PPS) started
on the 30th of January 2012. The PPS Register replaces more than 20
existing securities registers including REVS, the Bills of Sale Register
and Australian Government registers such as the Australian Securities
and Investments Commission Register of Company Charges, the Australian
Register of Ships and the Fisheries Register.

The PPS Register records interests in personal property that
has been used to secure a loan, such as cars, boats, livestock and
intellectual property. The PPS Register does not record interests in
real property, such as houses or land.

Contact details

Postal address:

National Service Centre
PO Box 1944, Adelaide SA 5001
Telephone: National Service Centre on 1300 007 777 (1300 00PPSR). If you are
calling from outside Australia, don’t forget to use the country code +61.
Fax: (08) 7087 4405

return to the top of the page

Complaints about Government Services

The WA Government recently produced a pamphlet and launched a website to inform consumers how to go about making complaints about Government services if they are dissatisfied.


State Ombudsman

The main function of the Ombudsman is to investigate complaints about government administration. Consumers can complain to the Ombudsman about many public sector bodies and office—holders including:

  • state government departments;
  • statutory authorities and corporations;
  • local governments
  • public universities.

Postal Address:
Ombudsman Western Australia
2nd Floor, Albert Facey House
469 Wellington Street PERTH WA 6000

Phone: (08) 9220 7555 and 1800 117 000
Fax: (08) 9220 7500

Commonwealth Ombudsman

A similar service is offered for complaints about Commonwealth departments. For further information go to:

Mail: GPO Box 442, CANBERRA ACT 2601
Phone: 1300 362 072 (calls from mobile phones at mobile phone rates)
Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm (AEST)
Fax: 02 6276 0123
SMS: 0413 COM OMB (0413 266 662) (standard carrier rates apply)

Equal Opportunity Commission

Commissioner for Equal Opportunity
Level 2, Hartleys Building
141 St George’s Tce
Perth WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 9216 3900
Fax: (08) 9216 3960
Country callers: 1800 198 149 (Free call)
TTY No: (08) 9216 3936
(If an interpreter is required, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and ask for connection to the Equal Opportunity Commission on (08) 9216 3900)

The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (HREOC)

HREOC is a national independent statutory government body, established in 1986 by an Act of the federal Parliament, The Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act. Under the legislation administered by the Commission, it has responsibilities for inquiring into alleged infringements under five anti discrimination laws — the Racial Discrimination Act 1975, the Sex Discrimination Act 1984, Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and the Age Discrimination Act 2004 as well as inquiring into alleged infringements of human rights under the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986.


Level 3, 175 Pitt Street
Postal addess:
GPO Box 5218

Telephone: (02) 9284 9600
Fax: (02) 9284 9611
Complaints Info line: 1300 656419
Privacy Hotline: 1300 363992
General enquiries and publications: 1300 369711
TTY: 1800 620241

return to the top of the page


Health Consumers’ Council

Established in 1994, Health Consumers’ Council (HCC) is an independent community—based organisation representing the consumers’ voice in health policy, planning, research and service delivery across WA and nationally. HHC provides a direct service to the public, assisting WA consumers in navigating the health system.

HCC strives to increase health consumer and provider knowledge of consumer rights and responsibilities, and develop a partnership approach between doctors and patients for more effective health care. HCC’s mentoring program assists community organisations, agencies and self—help groups to develop skills, and ensured that larger agencies are sensitive to consumer needs.

Postal: GPO Box C134
Perth WA 6839
Unit 13/14 Wellington Fair
4 Lord Street
Perth WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 92213422 (Mon to Fri 8.00am to 5.00pm)
Freecall: (08) 1800 620 780
Fax: (08) 9221 5435

People with Disabilies Westerm Australia

Representing all people with disabilities in Western Australia — physical, intellectual, psychiatric and sensory, providing advocacy, information and lobbying services.


Postal Address:
Oasis Lotteries House
Suite1/37 Hampden Road

Telephone: (08) 9485 8900
Toll free: 1800 193 331

Health and Disability Services Complaints Office

The Health and Disability Services Complaints Office was set up by Parliament to independently resolve complaints about health and disability services providers. If you have already talked to the service provider, but have not been able to resolve the issue, you should contact the Office of Health Review.

GPO Box B61
Perth WA 6838
Phone: Complaints and enquires  (08) 6551 7600
Administration (08) 6551 7620
Fax: (08) 6551 7630
Country Free Call: 1800 813 583
TTY: (08) 6551 7630

return to the top of the page

Money issues

Consumer Credit Legal Service WA (Inc)

Consumer Credit Legal Service provides advice and counselling on credit related issues, including finance, credit cards etc. CCLSWA’s goal is “to help the WA community achieve just and fair relationships with banks and other financial institutions”.

Contact information
Level 1/231 Adelaide Tce
Telephone: Hotline: 1800 627 662
Direct: (08) 9221 7066
Fax: (08) 9221 7088

Financial Counsellors Association of WA

Provides information about your nearest financial counselling service.

Telephone: (08) 9325 1617
Fax:(08) 9221 6444

return to the top of the page

Young Consumers

Youth Legal Service WA

Youth Legal Service WA (YLSWA) began operating in 1985. It is a Community Legal Centre actively involved in educating young people and their families, and professionals working with young people, in aspects of the law and their responsibilities within the law. YLSWA provides assistance to people under 25 who need legal information, advice or a lawyer because they are involved with the Children’s Court. Appointments must be made before visiting the Service.

8 Pier St
Perth WA 6000
Telephone: (08) 9202 1688 (9.00am to 5.00pm)
Country free call: 1800 199 006
Fax (08) 9202 1699

return to the top of the page

Comments are closed.